Sunday, September 14, 2008

Scrapbook Fun



I wanted to post photos of my last scrapbooking class for a couple of reasons: 1) I used the House of Haunts stamp set, which is my SSTM for the month of September (Purchase it this month, and I'll give you 15% off the price of the set!); 2) I came up with a new technique (more on that later); and 3) my student, Jen, did a completely different look (I love when my students do that ... you don't always have to copy teacher!), and I think her pages came out awesome!

OK, so the technique ... I wanted a tone on tone, which is difficult to do with black cardstock, so I made up a title mask using scrap paper and my Cricut machine. I laid a sheet of scrap paper across my page using temporary adhesive to give me a straight line. Then, I attached my letter masks with temporary adhesive.


I sponged around the letters using Black Craft ink, and embossed with Black Embossing Powder. I thought it came out great! Black on black, and real Halloweeney!


I showed my daughter, Kelly, and she thought it looked cool, but she thought the title was hard to see. My husband, Rick, came in, and he agreed with her. Kelly suggested I do the title using the green or orange embossing to match the striped paper I was going to use. I told her I didn't have those colors, so she suggested white. I thought, "Yuk! Not only will it defeat my Halloweeney look, but the white will clash with the colors in my striped paper."

When my student, Jen, arrived, I showed her the pages, and she loved them. I then told her what Rick & Kelly said, and she thought about it. She decided to do hers with white embossing powder instead of the black.

Neither of us was really impressed until I suggested she use one of the other papers instead of the stripes. She chose the black & white skull paper, and since her daughter's costume will be pink, she opted for Pink Passion layers for her embellishments & photos ...


We both thought her pages turned out great! She promises that after Halloween, she'll finish the pages and send me photos so we can all see the finished project.

I wanted to show you these, because you can do something like this with everything! You can spot a card or scrapbook page in a magazine, website, our Idea Book & Catalog, project from my class, anything. Then, change the colors, stamps, or even the layout, and make it all your own!

I saw a photo of a card on the Demonstrator section of the Stampin' Up! website. For some reason, Old Olive calls out to me for this card. I'm going to make one and change the color. I'll post it when I'm done so you could see how I do.

Why don't you challenge yourself, and pick a card out of our catalog? Change something, and then show me. I'd love to see what you come up with.

No comments: